Openly Straight Mixtape
This is is the media portion of a project for “Youth Literacies: Literature, Culture And The Arts,” taught by Dr. Laraine Wallowitz, at Adelphi University. It is a required course for students of the graduate educational theatre program.
We were given instructions to choose one book from a list:
and Kiely. All American Boys.
- L. Mullaly Hunt. Fish In A Tree.
- Cronn-Mills, K. Beautiful Music for Ugly Children.
- Chbosky, S. The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
- Konigsberg, B. Openly Straight.
Then we were to choose one project from a “choice board” of nine projects, each of which was a creative project requiring interpretation and extrapolation of the reading. I chose the following:
“Make a soundtrack for the book. Choose five to eight songs that represent themes/characters/conflicts in the story. Along with the CD or tape, include a paragraph for each song explaining why you chose that song and how it relates to the book.”
The following is the media portion of my project.
Note: True to character, I used these instructions as guidelines and made it my own.
Openly Straight Mixtape Tracks
Click track for lyrics (new window will open)
- These Are Days — 10,000 Maniacs
- Crash Into Me — Dave Matthews Band
- You Get What You Give — The New Radicals
- Name — The Goo Goo Dolls
- Let Go — Frou Frou
- Kissing You — Des’ree
- Chasing Cars — Snow Patrol
- Possession — Sarah McLachlan
- The Space Between — Dave Matthews Band
- Cannonball — Damien Rice
- I Am Here — P!nk